Thursday 22 September 2011

RINGING AGAIN

Last weekend I was back Ringing at Whitburn. The two days were quite a contrast! On the saturday myself and John could only muster 10 birds, the best being a new male Blackcap. Sunday, however was much much better. As it was the Great North Run, John and Andy volunteered to do car park duties for the Coastal Conservation Group leaving myself and Adrian to concentrate on the Ringing. In total we had 31 birds in the nets, 11 different species, including no fewer than 14 Chaffinches. The highlight for me though was a superb young Pied Flycatcher (above) that Adrian kindly allowed me to Ring. This is one of my favourite birds so I was delighted to get the chance get so close. It capped off a really good day. It was the first time I had properly Ringed with Adrian, and although I was a touch nervous at first I soon relaxed and got into the swing of things. This is where my training really begins, but I'm thoroughly looking forward to the challenge and I've got an exciting couple of years ahead of me!

No comments:

Post a Comment