Thursday 22 September 2011

AMERICAN GOLDEN PLOVER

Well, as is now traditional, whenever I go away on holiday a good bird (or two) tends to turn up in our area. Of course this holiday was no exception. While checking through the ever growing flock of Golden Plovers, Ian Mills stumbled on an American Golden Plover. I've seen these birds quite a few times abroad (America, Tobago, Jamaica etc) but I've never seen one in the UK. All I could do was sit by the pool in the scorching heat and hope the bird was a long stayer. When I got back home there had been no sightings for two days but then somebody had picked it up on the wednesday. So on thursday afternoon I wandered over to Whitburn Steel to see what I could find. Thankfully, I didnt have to try very hard, as when I got there another gentleman already had the bird in his scope. How lucky was I!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment