Sunday 28 November 2010

HAWTHORN DENE IN THE SNOW!


Well, I just couldnt resist playing out in the snow today! Despite the near Arctic conditions me and my brother Wayne had a brilliant day exploring Hawthorn Dene. As you can imagine we pretty much had the whole place to ourselves, I mean, what idiot would be out on a day like this!!! We had so much fun today, I was pretending to be Bear Grylls while Wayne was on the look out for bears and wolves. We did see loads of Deer tracks, which is after all the prey of the wolf, but no actual Deers themselves. (We have seen Roe Deer in these woods a few times). The only mammals seen today were a couple of Grey Squirrels. The main wildlife was of course birds. They were very active today, obviously on the look out for as much food as they could find. Hawthorn is one of the best places to see Marsh Tits in our county, and 2 or 3 were seen in a mixed Tit flock, along with a couple of Nuthatches and a pair of Bullfinches. The common woodland birds such as Robins, Dunnocks and Wrens etc were out in force, and in big numbers. There were also lots of Thrushes seen, mainly Blackbirds, but there were a couple of Song Thrushes and also quite a lot of Redwings. What I was surprised at was the number of Treecreepers seen, there were loads of them! I've never seen as many in a day before. But on the other side, we only seen 1 Great Spotted Woodpecker, which is unusual. ONE DAY, I'M GOING TO FIND THAT YETI.







I LOVE WHAT I DO.

No comments:

Post a Comment