Wednesday 29 September 2010

RED SEA BOAT TRIP

We had booked a boat trip on the penultimate day primarily to go snorkelling, but I was also hoping to catch up on a few Gulls and Terns while we were at it. It didnt get off to a promising start, when we arrived at the harbour and there wasnt a single gull in sight! How on earth could that be?! How can a harbour have no gulls? It was ridiculous. So as we were sailing out I wasnt feeling particularly hopeful, despite a pair of Ospreys flying over the boat. But then after a long 30 minutes I picked up a bird flying quite far out in front of the boat. As we got closer I could see it was a Tern, and then it came to the side of the boat and I had excellent views, it was a WHITE CHEEKED TERN. Excellent! A few minutes later another flew past. I was chuffed to have my first lifer of the day. About 15 minutes later we had a great large mixed flock of Terns engaged in a feeding frenzy. There were more White Cheeked Terns, BRIDLED TERNS and a couple of Lesser Crested Terns. This was more like it. Then at the spot of our first dive, I was delighted to see a large flock of one of my main targets, WHITE EYED GULLS. Thankfully they were relatively common throughout the rest of the day. The other species however, definately wasnt! In fact, I thought I was going to miss out altogether until the journey back home when three SOOTY GULLS sauntered past! So, from a disappointing start I ended up with four lifers! Not a bad little day out.

No comments:

Post a Comment