Tuesday 10 August 2010

WINGATE QUARRY 24-07-10

Had my first trip of the year to this terrific little place today, and was rewarded with my biggest number of MARBLED WHITE BUTTERFLIES that I've ever had. The weather was very kind to me, being nice and sunny with just the occasional cloudy spell. The Marbled Whites were quite spread out today, not just in their usual spot just before the quarry itself. In total there must have been at least 15 individuals which is an excellent number for me, I've never seen them over double figures before. This is one of my absolute favourite species of butterfly and easily one of the prettiest. But it wasnt just the Marbled Whites on show today, I had 13 different species of butterfly in total, Small White, Large White, Green Veined White, Small Tortoiseshell, Ringlet (another of my favourites), Small Heath, Speckled Wood, Meadow Brown, Small Copper, Comon Blue, Large Skipper and Small Skipper. Its a wonderful place for butterflies and I always enjoy my visits here. RINGLET
MARBLED WHITE

No comments:

Post a Comment